Consult an Expert
ONS Research and Evidence-Based Practice Consultation Programs
The purpose of the consultation program is to provide expertise to nurses needing guidance on EBP or research-related issues. Through the ONS Consultation Programs, a volunteer nurse researcher or EBP expert will consult with you to help in the planning and designing of your project or answer specific research-related questions.
Consultation is available to all ONS members. The EBP and Research Consultation Programs can be utilized for individual or chapter-generated projects. Consultants are willing to work with novice researchers as well as experienced members.
How to use the ONS Research Consultation Program
Examples of research situations in which the research consultation program could be of assistance:
How to use the ONS Evidence-Based Practice Consultation Program
Examples of situations in which the evidence-based practice consultation program could be of assistance:
- You have an idea for a practice change and want it to be evidence-based, but don't know where or how to begin.
- You have questions about the EBP process.
- You need guidance on challenges you have faced in implementing EBP.
- You need help in critiquing and synthesizing the evidence.
- You have questions on how to prepare evidence-based presentations or evidence-based publications.
If requesting consultation, be clear on what you wish to achieve and the type of help you need to succeed. The following questions need to be answered prior to seeking consultation:
- What do I need help with, i.e., research question, methodology, statistics, analysis, proposal review, project development, project implementation? For EBP consults, do you need help in searching the literature, critiquing and synthesizing the research, developing a practice change project, or writing an evidence-based publication?
- Is there a particular clinical or research area that the consultant should be an expert in?
- What is the anticipated time needed for the consultation, i.e., one time meeting, weekly meetings?
When you have answered these questions, contact the ONS Research Team (email@example.com; or 412-859-6298) to arrange for a consultation with an expert. Provide the Research Team with the answers to the above questions in addition to your educational background/research experience and the title of your project, if applicable. The ONS Research Team will review the request and identify a volunteer advanced nurse research consultant or EBP expert to work with you. After a match is found, you will be given contact information to communicate with the consultant. The ONS Research Team will contact you and the consultant approximately one month after the consultation has been arranged. The outcome and satisfaction of the consultation is important to the Research Team.