Oncology Nursing Society
Statement on Sustainable International Initiatives
ONS and its affiliates, ONS Foundation and ONCC, respond in a collaborative manner to the need for sustainable programs globally. Sustainable programs are those that help nurses to build the capacity to influence change in their own regions and to improve cancer care through professional development. International efforts are driven by clearly identified needs in areas of the world where we have 1) the opportunity to make an impact and 2) the capability to provide the necessary knowledge and logistical support to succeed. To effectively deliver new or existing programs and resources internationally, such endeavors are deliberate and strategic. We collaborate internally to maximize opportunities where our goals intersect. In addition, we seek external partners in the spirit of shared risk and shared benefit, whose objectives and capabilities complement ours.
Approved by the ONS Board of Directors July 2009
The goals of our international work are
- Expand visibility of ONS outside the U.S.
- Partner with international organizations
- Distribute ONS content and programming to new markets
- Serve the international nursing community
- Build capacity among nurses worldwide
- Learn from colleagues outside the U.S.