Radiation Oncology Certificate Program
The Radiation Oncology Certificate Program is intended to provide intermediate level information about radiation oncology therapies, symptom management and the professional role of the radiation oncology nurse. At the completion of the course, the student will take an examination based on the course content, pass the end-of-course examination (80% score), and complete the course evaluation to earn a CNE certificate from ONS and the certificate of added qualification from Oncology Nursing Certification Corporation.
This certificate of added qualification indicates that the student possesses knowledge in the subspecialty of radiation oncology nursing. This should not be misconstrued as professional certification or licensure.
Upon completion of this course students will be able to:
- Discuss the principles of radiobiology and their applications to patient care.
- Explain the indications and patient management for various radiation therapy modalities.
- Recognize and identify interventions for the management of acute and chronic side effects of radiation therapy.
- Define the emotional and psychological impact of radiation therapy on the patients and their families.
- Discuss the professional role of the radiation oncology nurse.
- This course is self-paced which means it is designed in a self-study format in which students can work at their own pace and at their convenience. Other than the course start and end dates/times, there is no set timeline as you progress through the course. Students may access the course 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and may access the course at any time during the specific time period that the class is active. The course should take you approximately 14 – 15 hours to complete.
- 15 contact hours of continuing nursing education (CNE)
In order to obtain 15 contact hours of continuing nursing education (CNE) and the certificate of added qualification, course participants MUST:
- Complete all course lessons (found under the Lessons tab)
- Complete the post-test with an 80% or higher (found under the Tests tab)
- Complete the course evaluation (found under the Course Evaluation tab)
After successfully completing the post-test and course evaluation prior to the course closing date and time, participants will be eligible to receive a CNE certificate and certificate of added qualification which will be sent after the closing date and time of the course. This certificate of added qualification indicates that the student possesses knowledge in the subspecialty of radiation oncology nursing. This should not be misconstrued as professional certification or licensure.
If participants do not successfully complete the post-test and/or the course evaluation prior to the course closing date and time, they will not receive CNE credit or the certificate of the added qualification for this course.
Continuing Nursing Education
ONS is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's (ANCC) Commission on Accreditation.
ONS is accredited as a provider of continuing education by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider #2850.
Accreditation as an American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission provider refers only to its continuing nursing education activities and does not imply ANCC Commission on Accreditation endorsement of any commercial products.
The contact hours earned from this educational opportunity qualify for initial oncology nursing certification and renewal via ONC-PRO or ILNA. Visit www.oncc.org for complete details on oncology nursing certification.