This renewal course is designed to meet the ongoing educational needs of oncology nurses and other nurses presently holding and desiring to maintain a current ONS Cancer Chemotherapy and Biotherapy Provider Card.
Upon completion of this independent study module, the learner will be able to:
- Recognize strategies to prevent chemotherapy-related medication errors.
- Demonstrate the calculation of a carboplatin dose.
- Describe safe handling and safe administration of cytotoxic agents.
- Describe new drugs approved for cancer indications.
- Discuss important nursing implications and responsibilities during the pre-treatment, treatment administration, and post-treatment phases of patient care.
- Identify toxicities that occur with the use of cytotoxic and therapeutic agents or cancer treatment.
- List nursing assessment and management of the toxicities associated with cytotoxic agents.
Web-based students will receive 2.5 contact hours of continuing nursing education (CNE) upon the successful completion of the program.
ONS is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
ONS is approved as a provider of continuing education by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider #2850.
Accreditation as an American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission provider refers only to its continuing nursing education activities and does not imply ANCC Commission on Accreditation endorsement of any commercial products.
The contact hours earned from this educational opportunity qualify for initial oncology nursing certification and renewal via ONC-PRO. Visit www.oncc.org for complete details on oncology nursing certification.