ONS Publishing Awards
All awards, grants, and scholarships are tentative and subject to change based on funding availability.
Susan Baird Excellence in Clinical Writing Award
Purpose: To recognize and reward excellence in authorship of a paper that advances oncology nursing. The award will consist of $1,000 and a certificate, presented to and accepted by the first author on behalf of the writing team. These papers will be acknowledged at the annual ONS Congress in the compendium of awards, honors, and other special recognitions produced and distributed annually by ONS.
Eligibility Criteria for Nomination
A published article is eligible for nomination for the Susan Baird Excellence in Writing Award if it
- Meets general nomination criteria.
- Is a clinical presentation of content on a subject that includes, but is not limited to, a drug or class of drugs; a specific cancer diagnosis; symptom management; topics related to the physical, psychological, spiritual, or social care of patients with cancer; genetics; prevention/detection; research methodology; ethics; or nurse (profession)-oriented topics.
- Is not a report of research.
- The subject is original, timely, and directly connected to a body of scientific and theoretical literature related to nursing.
- The article is clearly written and flows well; it creatively and appropriately includes tables, figures, illustrations, and photographs
- The article provides comprehensive and up-to-date information about the subject in a readable format.
- The article can be appreciated by a wide range of oncology nurse readers.
- Authors articulate the significance of the issue to oncology nursing practice.
Application Process: All published articles that meet the selection criteria will be considered for the award.