ONS Employer Recognition Award
The Employer Recognition Awards were developed to recognize those employers who show exemplary support for and/or honor registered nurses working in oncology. The purpose of these awards is to acknowledge institutions that support the ONS vision, mission, and values
Vision – The vision of the Oncology Nursing Society is to lead the transformation of cancer care
Mission – The mission of the Oncology Nursing Society is to promote excellence in oncology nursing and quality care
Values – Integrity-Stewardship-Advocacy-Excellence-Inclusiveness
Three award categories are available:
Small: Organizations with less than 25 registered oncology nurses,
Medium: Organizations with 26-100 registered oncology nurses, and
Large: Organizations with 101 or more registered oncology nurses
The criteria for award consideration are as follows:
Sustained support of the oncology nurse by the employer as evidenced by one or more of the following examples:
- Employer’s support of the members to attend ONS meetings like Congress, IOL, APN, and the Research Conference.
- Employer’s support for the member to attend CE events.
- Use and promotion of ONS materials (publications, etc).
- Employer’s support of the member’s annual ONS dues.
- Employer’s support of National ONS, ONS Chapter, and/or SIG involvement by the nurse employee.
- Recognition of ONS members in numerous ways in the facilities where they work
- Other measures of recognition, appreciation, encouragement, and advancement of the Oncology Nursing Society.
Presentation of Award
- A plaque will be presented to the representative attending the annual ONS Congress on behalf of their institution. (ONS will not be responsible for any expense incurred by the recipients associated with receiving the award.)
- Prizes will be awarded to the employer as follows, based on the size category:
- Small: (0-25 oncology nurses) – two free registrations to an ONS educational activity; $250 ‘ONS Bucks’ to use for publications or other items
- Medium: (26-100 oncology nurses) – three registrations, $500 ‘ONS Bucks’ to use for publications or other items
- Large: (101 or more oncology nurses) – four registrations and $750 ‘ONS Bucks’ to be used for publications or other items.
- The Employer Recognition Award recipients will be featured in an issue of ONS Connect.
- ONS headquarters will work with the local chapter of the Award recipients for recognition at a local ONS Chapter meeting.
- Award recipients will be listed on the ONS Awards Website.
Nomination and Selection Process
- ONS member nurses may nominate an employer for the award. Nominations may be made by individual member nurses, or by a group of member nurses employed at the same facility. Current ONS Board members are prohibited from nominating any employer while serving in that capacity, and for two years immediately following. The employers of current ONS Board members are not eligible to be nominated for the Employer Recognition Award during the Board term.
- The award nomination form must be submitted, along with a maximum of 10 pages of examples of supporting documentation. The nomination form and supporting documentation must be submitted by 5pm ET, September 30th.
- Selection will be made by the ONS Board of Directors following recommendations by the ONS Awards Advisory Panel.
IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT THE SEPTEMBER 30, 5:00pm E.T. NOMINATION DEADLINE!
ONS uses an external, vendor-supported online program for all award nomination applications. The application system is set up so that at exactly 5:00pm ET (Eastern Time), September 30, the application site will automatically shut down and be locked. Any applications that are open (not completed) at this time will be terminated and will not be accepted. It is imperative that all open applications be submitted prior to 5:00pm ET, September 30, in order to be accepted into the online system and be eligible for consideration. In order to be fair to all who may nominate individuals for consideration for an ONS award, the September 30, 5:00pm ET deadline cannot be extended without prior authorization from the ONS Awards Advisory Panel and the ONS Board of Directors. If you have any questions regarding the ONS awards nomination process, please call the ONS Awards staff (412) 859-6403, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
TO NOMINATE ONLINE:
- Please read the "How To" instructions before accessing the online nomination.
- Register by creating a username and password on the Closerware Grantmaker site.
- Access the online nomination.