ONS Publishing Awards
All awards, grants, and scholarships are tentative and subject to change based on funding availability.
Commendation for Outstanding Achievement by a New Nurse Author of a CJON Column or ONF Expanded Feature
Purpose: To recognize and reward a new nurse author for excellence in the authorship of material that contributes to the oncology nursing literature as a CJON column or an expanded feature in ONF. The number of commendations may vary from year to year. The award will consist of a certificate, presented to and accepted by the first author on behalf of the writing/research team. These papers will be acknowledged at the annual ONS Congress in the compendium of awards, honors, and other special recognitions produced and distributed annually by ONS.
Eligibility for Consideration
A published column/feature is eligible for a consideration of a commendation if it
- Meets general nomination criteria.
- Has, as its first author, a nurse who has never published in a peer-reviewed journal before. This criterion will be confirmed by literature search.
- Is nominated by the editors in collaboration with associate editors as appropriate.
- Achieves an average combined score exceeding 16 on the judging criteria.
A judge panel will review the entire list of eligible articles and determine which articles will receive a commendation. Articles under consideration for other writing awards may be considered.
- Thetopic is relevant to oncology nursing practice.
- The column/feature presents information that can positively influence patient care or enhance oncology clinical nursing practice.
- The subject is original and timely and presents state-of-the-art evidence-based information.
- The article is clearly written and flows well; it creatively and appropriately includes tables, figures, illustrations, and photographs.
Application Process: All columns/features that have appeared in the appropriate volume of CJON or ONF and meet the selection criteria automatically will be considered for this award.