ONS Publishing Awards
All awards, grants, and scholarships are tentative and subject to change based on funding availability.
Marcia C. Liebman New Writer Excellence Award
Purpose: To recognize and reward a new nurse author for excellence in the authorship of an article that contributes to the oncology nursing literature. The award will consist of $1,000 and a certificate, presented to and accepted by the first author on behalf of the writing/research team. These papers will be acknowledged at the annual ONS Congress in the compendium of awards, honors, and other special recognitions produced and distributed annually by ONS.
Eligibility for Consideration
A published article is eligible for nomination for the Marcia C. Liebman New Writer Award if
- It meets general nomination criteria with the following exception: The first author must be a nurse who has never published before in a peer-reviewed journal. This criterion will be confirmed by literature search.
- The article may appear in ONF or CJON and be either a scholarly article or a research report.
- Papers prepared as part of the CJON Mentor/Fellow Writing Program are not eligible to receive this award.
- The subject is original, timely, and directly connected to a body of scientific and theoretical literature related to oncology nursing practice.
- The article is clearly written and flows well; it creatively and appropriately includes tables, figures, illustrations, and photographs
- The article provides comprehensive and up-to-date information about the subject in a readable format.
- The article can be appreciated by a wide range of oncology nurse readers.
- Authors articulate the significance of the issue to oncology nursing practice.
Application Process: All published articles that meet the selection criteria will be considered for the award. The first author must be a nurse who has never published before in a peer-reviewed journal.